1. Performs physical, mental and addiction withdrawal assessments of detox clients as per protocol and reports acute changes to medical provider
2. Administers and documents the correct medication when client exhibits signs and symptoms of withdrawal.
3. Refer all clients that do not meet criteria for detox to ACMC for medical evaluation
4. Reviews admission protocol to include medical, surgical and family history and ensures that client's laboratory and urine drug screening are completed within required timeframe
5. Maintains a safe, therapeutic, client-focused environment in the detox unit. Treats all clients with dignity and respect.
6. Monitors meals and provides proper nutrition for clients in detox process.
7. Responsible for shift assessment; ensuring vital signs, medication administration records, withdrawal assessment scores and progress notes for assigned clients are completed and documented correctly in EMR. Ability to supervise and monitor documentation required by Medical Assistants
8. Maintains confidentiality of all client information in accordance with state and federal regulations
9. Responsible for maintaining medications, medication rooms and carts, keeping them clean, neat and orderly at all times.
10. Responsible for verbal or written shift report before and after every shift.
11. Responsible for proper narcotic counts before, after every shift or if there is any staff changes during a shift.
12. Monitors emergency equipment checks for expirations, proper maintenance for equipment. Monitors nursing unit and common areas and addresses any spills, trip hazards or housekeeping needs of facility
13. Able to respond to medical emergencies throughout building on all units, including Detox, Short Term and Long Term Residential. Ability to document and communicate to medical providers any changes in client's status and obtain verbal orders
14. Maintain CEU as required for LPN license in state of New Jersey and to enhance skills as addiction/detoxification nurse
15. Participate in departmental meeting, treatment teams and facilitate educational in-services for clients and staff as needed for health and wellness of facility. Responsible to facilitate training for client orientation, Narcan training, and state department of health issues as needed.
16. Must attend at least 6 staff meetings per calendar year
17. Perform other related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to actively engage in conversation with clients in order to clearly understand their needs.
2. Ability to use appropriate communication method to fit the situation.
3. Ability to perform assessment for signs and symptoms of dependency and withdrawal
4. Ability to express oneself clearly when presenting ideas or concerns with respect to all cultures, ethnic or gender specific backgrounds
5. Capable of adapting to changing environments, policies or administrative procedures
6. Ability to establish and maintain a positive and cooperative working relationship with all employees. Reports to proper chain of command any urgent concerns, violations, or client or staff safety concerns
7. Demonstrates knowledge of health related issues regarding addiction, detoxification, chronic diseases, communicable and infectious diseases.
8. Knowledge of universal precautions and ability to educate staff and clients on standard protocols
9. Knowledge of medication administration, potential interactions and proper storage and security of all classes of medications.
10. Knowledge of nursing assessment, physical exam and ability to identify acute mental or physical changes
11. Ability to maintain medical or clerical supplies and report needs to supervisor as needed
12. Ability to participate in treatment team meetings as needed and assigned by supervisor
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of New Jersey
Minimum of one year experience in detoxification